Friday, November 20, 2009

The Teenage Brain



Even good students are tired and not as motivated as we teachers would like them to be. Some of that is due to being a teenager. It turns out that, in teens, there is an underdeveloped part of the brain called the nucleus accumens that is related to our pleasure-seeking centers of our brain. What that means is teens are not as easily impressed by things as are adults. The reason many teens do drugs and engage in dangerous activities is that only extremes can give them any kind of thrill. I'm an adult, and I get a thrill out of Starbucks, hammocks and reading non-fiction books, so my nucleus accumens does not need as much stimulation as my students'. This information is virtually useless to you as a teacher, but it is nice to know why teens act the way they do. It explains why something obviously interesting is not that interesting to them.

Another part of the brain you should know about is the amygdala. This is your panic button or excitement button. It tells your body to produce norepinephrine (adrenaline). When I go to boring teacher meetings and I remember boring college professors, I think about things that I can do as a teacher to get students' amygdalas to fire. I thought why can't I try to run a classroom like a sales presentation. I start out by playing loud, abnoxious music. Then I say, "Hello, class." I say it loudly like a Southern preacher. These things activate the students' amygdalas and get their adrenaline going. Getting them to laugh is a big deal, also. My old principal was a math teacher and he spent the first few minutes of every day telling jokes. I often play silly videos that I save from youtube that get a laugh. The videos are sometimes less than a minute and I play them before the tardy bell rings so not much time is wasted. I regularly will clap my hands loudly like a coach say c'mon c'mon let's do it! Energy is the key!

No comments: