Monday, September 1, 2008

Managing off task behavior.




No technique works for all students all the time, but that's no reason not to share a few tips. One thing to remember is we are all human. Personally, I break the rules on occasion because I don't think anyone is paying attention. So let's say I'm a few minutes late every day. Nobody says anything so I continue to be late. Then my Principal mentions it. I feel guilty and start being on time. I simply needed that direction because being late was easier than following a rule that I thought nobody was paying attention to. Students are the same, as are teachers in professional development. We all space out from time to time. So how can we as teachers correct this behavior without stopping the flow of class?

You must dedicate yourself to not stop the flow of class. Here are some tips:
1. In a traditional teacher-centered classroom situation (like mine is often), I will continue to talk but I will stare at the offending student who is spacing out. She will get the message and get on task. No class time or pride is lost. Not one second was wasted.
2. Incorporate their name, or their offense, into random parts of the lecture. "The Romans invented a lot of things. CELL PHONES weren't one of them. Right, Carlos? Yeah. [Class giggles]
3.
Walk around the room. Your physical proximity tell their heart to give a shot of adrenaline into their bloodstream. Remember how you felt when your teacher came nearby? It's the same. If a student is off task, I might just tap on their desk. They'll get the picture. There is no need to make a scene.
4. Give dirty looks without stopping.
5. If you see one cell phone, address the entire class, "I need everyone to put up their cell phones." Benefits of that approach include student dignity and the real possibility that there is another cell phone being used that you don't see. That unknown student might think you are onto her and will put it up. Free points for you!

What if the subtle approach doesn't work? Tell the students, "Hey guys, if I look at you funny when you are doing something you are not supposed to be doing, please just stop doing it. Don't make me stop class to say, "Maria, put your phone up." You don't want me to sit around and gripe all day do you?" Kids appreciate learning about the material more than hearing you gripe.

No comments: