Monday, September 1, 2008

Welcome to my high school teaching advice blog.

I love to teach. I love teaching students and I love to teach other teachers what I know about teaching. My goal in this blog is to write down all my ideas and get criticism now before I try to publish them someday. I'm all heart, little research. I don't trust Harvard researchers because they've never had to call a parent or have a student to tell them to go &*%@ themselves.

About me: I grew up in a pretty rough neighborhood when parents still let their kids go outside. I'm 35, just old enough to graduate without taking any computer classes but young enough to have grown up on video games.

My first teaching job was at a jail. I was 24 teaching a life skills class to inmates who have had more life experiences than I have. However, I went in there every day with the necessary confidence because I was smart enough to know that their life experiences are what got them in jail in the first place. I learned quickly not to be afraid of adults. Adults need leadership and guidance just like everybody. I spent 4 years teaching female inmates the math and writing skills they needed to get their GED and hopefully not return to jail.

My second job was at tough inner city school. I learned many things teaching in 2 rough situations: 1. You have to believe that your thugs are worth teaching. If you don't believe that your job is important, then you won't have the intrinsic motivation to get you through the rough spots of the day. 2. You have to teach to the heart. City kids do things voluntarily or not at all! Luckily for you, these kids have an intrinsic desire for learning. You just have to find a way to tap that.

No comments: